Monday 22 October 2012

Best job ever

I'm pretty sure I have the best job ever.

My role is to be the person that researches what's going on in Libraries and my community and come up with ways to implement them here in my Library.

I'm currently putting together recommendations for the next 5 - 10 years for services we provide in the Library. That is a pretty big deal. What furture Library staff are doing in 10 years could be a result of something I am doing today. It's pretty full on but exciting at the same time.

I'm also working on our social media presence which is a lot of fun. It's hard work but getting to push the boundaries and come up with new ways of communicating with our community gives me great job satisfaction.

 
Connecting people with information that they otherwise would not have come across can have a big impact on their life. Some things may be small like a book they might enjoy but it can also be huge things like helping them get a job. Plus I found that I learn a lot off my cutstomers too, not just about the questions they ask but how different people are. I think Libraries are one of the few places where you get to meet such a diverse group of people.

The thing I have found about Libraries is that there are roles to suit different personalities. I kind of have that shiny object syndrome where I get bored if I have to do the same thing over and over and as soon as a shinny object appears I'm straight to it (like a kitten is with a bit of floating lint!). This is why working in a role that project manages is great.  I get to create a project, deliver it and then finish it or hand it over to someone else. It means I'm always challenged and learning new things.

The jobs available in Libraries in the next 2 - 3 years is going to be totally differnt to those availbe now. I think there will be a HUGE focus on IT, communications, design and teaching. Speculating what skills will be required in the next 5 - 10 years is a bit mind boggling. Really the sky is the limit and Libraries LOVE creative and inventive people so I think there could be some unique positions come up over the next few years.

Hope to see you in an interview room in the near future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment